Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Jarvis on approach taken


Re: RPS Project Management 101
From:
Jarvis Rich <ishtar@pacbell.net> 
View Contact
To:"kxr@netzero.com" <kxr@netzero.com>

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm sure you can have more.
The UI issues need to be addressed.
For the moment they seem serviceable.

My approach was to start from Tic Tac Toe and try to find a path of least resistance.
Keeping the score and displaying it was the same.
I have the level of difficulty showing along with the result as DF=n, which is not great.
Currently that DF number is usurped to show the x horizontal position on cursor up.
It is not always right.

I had 9 graphical representations for win-lose-draw.
I found I could change them easily using MS paint to show on the emulator screen.
I had 4 up positions to show the arm being shaken.
Currently they try to show the Y vertical arm position when the touch is lifted up.

I plan to change the code to follow the moving pointer, and to require it to shake (go up and down) 3 times. It may need more points to look smoother.
At that point I think we have a working model, and then I would address the UI.

I would prefer no instructions to show while playing the game.
If people just stare at it, without touching the screen, it flunks.
If they touch the screen they will leave a visible trail of a scrape, and maybe they will know what to do.

I probably undervalue the menu, because of lack of experience with smart phones.
The #2 option is from the API Sample, and it has a 5 item menu.
I will have to see what I can make the options look like before I get enthused.

A historic review of the opening menu. It fitted in a square space and it worked both horizontally and vertically without the items all squirming around. I have been happy with enforcing a portrait view, so that doesn't matter any more. I think I tried making the radio buttons vertical, and I couldn’t make them as compact. The message below the radio buttons applies to the nine tic tac toe boards. It will go away when the current playing mechanism goes away. Maybe it needs to be changed for tic tac toe game, which is a very unpopular version of tic tac toe.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment